- In Kjarnaskógur, directly above the hotel, are hiking trails, volleyball court and playground equipment. There is also a specially designed mountain biking trail. The walking paths for skiers are plowed in winter. There is also a beautiful and enjoyable outdoor area above Kjarnaskógur which is a part of the Hamrar campsite. A nice walking trail connects Kjarnaskógur and Hamrar.
- The magical Christmas garden is open all year round and driving there takes less than 10 minutes.
- The swimming pool in Hrafnagil is wonderful. You can also find swimming pools in Akureyri and Þelamörk.
- Golf courses are close by. Jaðarsvöllur – 18 holes, Leifsstaðir – 9 holes and Þverá – 18 holes.
- Horse rentals can be found not far from the hotel.
- There are several museums in the Akureyri area, e.g. the Aviation Museum, Art Museum and the Motorcycle Museum of Iceland.
- The ice rink is only a few kilometers away from Hotel Kjarnalundur as well as Hlíðarfjall, the skiing paradise of Akureyri.
- Within the Eyjafjörður fjord are many restaurants, cafés, galleries etc.
These are just a few examples of the leisure activities available around Akureyri.